Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Shedding Pounds

Today is my birthday, so I decided that a good gift to myself would be a good ass-kicking early morning run. After a quick breakfast of peanut butter on a slice of wheat and a protein drink, I filled up my camelbak, strapped it into my backpack and loaded in my bricks, and off I went.

It was still nice and cool outside, but the sun was already starting to pop above the trees, so I knew it was going to get hot before I was done. I took a slightly different route today, one with plenty of nice gradual hills at a good grade--I definitely felt the burn! 2.5 miles and 25 minutes later, I jogged back into my driveway, soaked in sweat and breathing nice and heavy, but damn did I feel good. As I went inside and shrugged off my bag, a thought struck me.

Four short months ago, I was carrying all of that extra weight with me all the time. Once I finally got my act together and quit smoking, started exercising and eating better, and generally taking a more proactive role in my health and fitness, the pounds just started melting away. Today, I laughed to myself a little bit when I realized that I now control when I carry that extra weight around--it doesn't control me. It's a challenge running with it on my back, and it's a welcome challenge; but the fact that I don't have to have those extra 20 pounds with me all the time makes me feel even better that I've started this new journey in my life.

Happy birthday, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment